EMERGENCY OPERATION PLAN AND CAMPUS SAFETY
The administration, faculty, and staff follow the School’s emergency operation plan and safety guidelines to prevent and respond to injuries, incidents, and emergencies. Drills are conducted at regular intervals during the year for fire, lockdown, and earthquake readiness. Emergency procedures including an evacuation plan are posted in each classroom. Earthquake supplies: The School has food, water, and other emergency supplies for three days stored in various locations around both campuses.
To promote School security and safety, both campuses employ security guards. Both the Hiller and Lafayette Campuses utilize surveillance cameras.
In the event of an off-site emergency evacuation, the following protocols will be set in motion, and parents will be notified to pick up their children at the locations below.
- Lower School evacuation location is Claremont Club and Spa - A Fairmont Hotel (41 Tunnel Road, Berkeley)
- Middle School evacuation location is St. Clement’s Episcopal Church (2837 Claremont Blvd., Berkeley)
- Upper School evacuation location is Lafayette Reservoir parking lot (3849 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette)
In the event of an off-site evacuation, parents /guardians will be notified by our electronic emergency communication system AlertNow, and must pick up their student at the mandated locations listed above (NOT at the school). Parents/guardians MUST tell the Team Leader in charge at the designated location when they pick up their student in order to ensure each student is accounted for.
If an emergency vehicle approaches the campus during peak drop-off or pick-up times:
- Hiller/Oakland Campus: Parents are required to follow directions from the traffic assistants in yellow vests and drive past the parking lot at school. Wait until the emergency vehicle has passed and make U-turns in the safe, designated locations (stop light at Hiller Drive and Tunnel Roads or out of the school zone north of Kaiser School) to enter the drop-off or pick-up zones again.
- Lafayette Campus: Please pull off to the side and halt movement of the vehicle until the emergency vehicle has passed.